Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I just had a root canal done. The dentist told me that the…

I just had a root...
I just had a root canal done. The dentist told me that the cavity has approached the nerve. He use some kind of cold test and I don't feel anythjng. He said I haven't have any infection but I need a root canal and possible a cap to safe the tooth. Is it normal to have discomfort or mild pain when I touch the tooth. My dentist told me that he too the teeth down so it doesn't touch my top teeth but recommended me not to eat until a cap is in places. After a week I still fell some pain when I pushed on the tooth but again the X-ray for the follow shows now sign of infection. He told me to give it some time for it to heal, but I thought after root canal you should not feel pain.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/16/2017
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

The reasons for your pain could be :

1. Over instrumentation (going beyond the root canals during the cleaning procedure)

2. Forceful irrigation (injecting the irrigant solution which pushes it past the root canals)

3. Inadequate instrumentation (some amount of pulp tissue is still left , which can be the source of pain)

4. An entire root canal missed (not picked up on an X ray and hence not cleaned)

5. A broken instrument being left inside the root canal which forms a nidus for infection leading to failure of the root canal.

6. The root canal is not filled entirely, which leads to an incomplete seal at the apex of the root, from which leakage of microbial products occurs and thus infection.

Discuss all these possibilities with your dentist. Im sure one of these is the reason why it is hurting. However, please remember that pain or discomfort for up to 7-10 days following a root canal can be normal.

Hope this answers your question.Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Regards,

Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist