Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have this tooth pain that comes and goes. It is also

Customer Question
sensitive when I drink water...
I have this tooth pain that comes and goes. It is also sensitive when I drink water, the sensitivity also comes and goes. Not sure if it is from my TMJ that is tensed right now or soemthing more serious. I am just afraid it could be cracked tooth. Normally the pain or sensitive feel will last for 10 seconds. Sometimes I feel that tge air pass through the tooth and feel cold at the gum. I know that my gum seems to recess. Or could it just be bacause my gum is Inflammed. I did feel first that my gum hurts after cleaning last week and atill hurts before this tooth pain kicks in
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dental
I had this happen to me before but not as much pain. Please see picture
Another one
7/15/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 6 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

It looks as though you've had a possible filling on the cheek side of the tooth near the gum line previously, does that sound correct to you? (bottom tooth)

The top tooth? Possibly a beginning small cavity is beginning which may need a composite filling.

Dr. Rampton

the bottom tooth has a lot of filling. I think they said most of it is filling. Not sure if it is near the gum line. I couldn't see the difference
Or is it because the filling is near the gumline and my gum right now is inflammed
Can the small cavity cause pain?

The lower tooth, appears to have a filling. But the filling looks like it may be leaking at the top of it. If so, it's likely an easy repair for your Dentist to replace a filling (rather to touch - up a filling) on tooth #19 on the cheek side of the filling! That's what I'd do. Simultaneously, the tooth above it, looks like a small cavity and your Dentist could pop a quick cheek side filling in that tooth (#14) at the same visit.

I don't know if the top or bottom one is causing you the most discomfort - but I would presume it is one of the two (#14 or #19).

How does this sound to you?

Dr. Rampton

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine