Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have this tooth pain that comes and goes. It is also

Customer Question

I have this tooth pain that comes and goes. It is also sensitive when I drink water, the sensitivity also comes and goes. Not sure if it is from my TMJ that is tensed right now or soemthing more serious. I am just afraid it could be cracked tooth. Normally the pain or sensitive feel will last for 10 seconds. Sometimes I feel that tge air pass through the tooth and feel cold at the gum. I know that my gum seems to recess. Or could it just be bacause my gum is Inflammed. I did feel first that my gum hurts after cleaning last week and atill hurts before this tooth pain kicks in
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I had this happen to me before but not as much pain. Please see picture
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Another one
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 10 days ago.

It looks as though you've had a possible filling on the cheek side of the tooth near the gum line previously, does that sound correct to you? (bottom tooth)

The top tooth? Possibly a beginning small cavity is beginning which may need a composite filling.

Dr. Rampton

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the bottom tooth has a lot of filling. I think they said most of it is filling. Not sure if it is near the gum line. I couldn't see the difference
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Or is it because the filling is near the gumline and my gum right now is inflammed
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can the small cavity cause pain?

The lower tooth, appears to have a filling. But the filling looks like it may be leaking at the top of it. If so, it's likely an easy repair for your Dentist to replace a filling (rather to touch - up a filling) on tooth #19 on the cheek side of the filling! That's what I'd do. Simultaneously, the tooth above it, looks like a small cavity and your Dentist could pop a quick cheek side filling in that tooth (#14) at the same visit.

I don't know if the top or bottom one is causing you the most discomfort - but I would presume it is one of the two (#14 or #19).

How does this sound to you?

Dr. Rampton