Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

MY DENTIST TOLD ME I NEED APICOECTOMY. THE TOOTH IS A

Customer Question

MY DENTIST TOLD ME I NEED APICOECTOMY. THE TOOTH IS A IMPLANT WITH POST. DO I NEED TO GET APICOECTOMY ASAP.WHAT ARE MY RISK IF I WAIT.
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: NO SWELLING, NO PAIN. LAST WEEK. IMPLANT FELL OUT. DENTIST CEMENTED BACK IN. NO PROBLEM WITH TOOTH.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: IMPLANTED TOOTH WAS LOOSE. FELL OUT WENT TO DENTIST. DENTIST CEMENTED THE TOOTH BACK IN. NO PROBLEM SINCE. DENTIST SAID I NEED APICOECTOMY. WHAT ARE MY RISK IF I WAIT TO GET THE APICOECTOMY.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 10 days ago.

If this tooth is really an implant,then you don't need an apicoectomy. Apicoectomies are only done on real teeth. You may be referring to a post that was placed in the tooth that has a crown attached to the post.The only way that I can tell if an apicoectomy is required is to see the xray of the tooth. There really is no other way to confirm if you actually need this procedure done. If there is no swelling and there is no fistula or pimple on the gum above the tooth,there is probably no urgency.Again,try to get the xray and upload it so that I can give you some more accurate information.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 10 days ago.

Are you still there?