Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Awarded, licensed dentist with over 13 years experience
99431558

Two days ago I had a hard fall... then noticed my tongue is

Customer Question

Two days ago I had a hard fall... then noticed my tongue is dark purple, and now slips between my side teeth, overtop the bottom row. Now I can barely drink, I can't eat at all, and I bleed/drool constantly. Could I have a pulled Styloglossus?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No gum swelling, last visit was about a year ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: Can get gradually better extension this AM, but it still retracts back. Currently won't clear front row of teeth.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Lara Coseo replied 3 months ago.

Good morning! I'm sorry to hear that you've hurt your tongue. Could you upload a photo of it so that I can see the purple discoloration? Also, extend it as far as you can in the picture so I can see its range of motion.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lara

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's gotten worse: I can't chew...the tongue is in the middle of my teeth on the sides

That's a great picture. Thank you for sending it. This does not look like a pulled muscle. It looks like a type of vascular malformation. It can be a hemotoma (blood-filled tumor) or an overgrowth of the blood vessels in your tongue. Any of those vascular issues cause the tongue to be enlarged and a little bulbous. Had you noticed any enlargement or discoloration before two days ago? Is it possible you injured your tongue during your hard fall? Maybe bit it? The injury could have torn the blood vessels and allowed blood to spill out under the surface.

I would recommend that you see an oral surgeon ASAP. Do you have one in your area that you can call?

Dr. Lara