Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have an infection in one of my teeth but cannot get into

Customer Question
my dentist's office until next...
I have an infection in one of my teeth but cannot get into my dentist's office until next week. I have Flagyl that was prescribed to me a few months ago as a precaution. Will it help at all if I take it until I get in to my clinic next week?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No swelling in the gums but my cheek is swollen. It has been a year since I went for a routine check.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: I have a blood clotting disorder and take a blood thinner daily. I also have a tooth decay disorder that I cannot spell.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dental
7/13/2017
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 4 months ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Flagyl will give you little or no help for the infection.Any dentist or oral surgeon can call in a prescription for you over the phone. You should be starting on penicillin vk 500 mg every 6 hours right away.Clindamycin 300 mg every six hour or amoxicillin 500 mg every eight hours will also work well. Keep in mind that it takes 48 hours before the effects of the antibiotics will be seen. If you have swelling now,it will likely increase. I would not wait until next week before getting on the appropriate antibiotic.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)