Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I've had recent dental work (root canal) that seems to have…

I've had recent dental...

I've had recent dental work (root canal) that seems to have caused my existing TMJ to flare up. It has been three weeks since last dental visit and my jaw is sore and my range of motion is limited. The first trip did not cause any pain in my jaw. I need to finish the work to get a crown and I can't open my mouth wide enough to allow the dentist to work. How can I speed up the healing?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

No swelling and no tooth pain, just the jaw muscle.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was diagnosed with TMJ in my 20s and have been managing it with little problem since. Nothing else I can think of. I'm now 51,

7/12/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

This can happen after having your mouth open for an extended period especially if you have limited opening. It is more a matter of overstretched ligaments that are involved with opening and closing the mandible. Warm moist heat compresses,ibuprofen 400 mg every four hours ,massaging the joint and facial muscles and sticking to some softer foods for a few days can help let the ligaments relax and get your jaw back to normal. Each day try to open your mouth a little wider and eventually your normal function will return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been doing all but the warm compresses for over a week with little improvement. How often and how long should I do the compresses?

If you have the time,do it three times a day for 20 minutes at a time as warm as you can take it.Try moving the lower jaw around while applying the compress in all excursions that you can.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

The next step would be to get on a medrol dose pack which is a steroid that will reduce the inflammation and allow you normal movement. This is a prescription item that your dentist can prescribe.