Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

How do you treat early periodontal disease that is NOT

caused by poor oral hygiene...
How do you treat early periodontal disease that is NOT caused by poor oral hygiene? I have excellent oral hygiene and I am developing early signs of periodontal disease on the gums of my top front two teeth. I have had some hormonal changes as well as extreme stress the past 6 months that I believe is contributing to this. I had a cleaning done a month ago and it has not helped. I have been trying to heal it at home as well by adding WaterPik and mouthwash to my regimen but it is not helping. If this issue is not due to poor oral hygiene, how would a periodontist treat this in its early stages?
7/9/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

The key to keeping things in check is primarily what you are doing. Seeing a periodontist or having your teeth cleaned every three months is important as well as good home care and using a water pik.Mouthwashes seem to give little additional help. The other thing to remember is that this disease has a genetic predisposition. I have patients that take meticulous care of their teeth but still the bone loss progresses. It is not your fault. It is something that just happens and there is no direct cure. Surgical intervention is just expensive and does not necessarily provide any real benefit except in isolated cases. Do you have xrays of your mouth to upload so I can get an idea of the severity of your case.

Unfortunately most periodontists take advantage of this situation by advising things like Arestin antibiotic chips placed in the gum and doing periodontal surgery. Both of these methods are expensive.The Arestin has been proven to provide no clinically significant results.If they suggest surgery,do not let them talk you into the full mouth deal.One quadrant as a trial should be the most that you should do to compare the results before committing yourself to the pain and expense.

Thank you for your response. I do not have xrays. I have been to the dentist 1 month ago to get a cleaning and was told everything was fine. I was told that this area would heal after the cleaning as it was just due to plaque but it has not healed. The V area between the top 2 teeth has been a bit swollen and bleeding for months now. The swelling has now moved to behind my front two teeth.
I was not told I had periodontal disease, I am just assuming from the symptoms. There is no pain, or bad taste/breath. I do clench my teeth at night and have TMD which I wear a mouth guard for.
I have been stressing so much about this and no matter what I do, it is not healing. I know for a fact that it is not my oral hygiene. It cannot get any better than this. I developed this issue about 3 months ago.
Are there any supplements you recommend that would help? I am only 30 years old. I don't understand why this is happening.

It is important that we determine if you have periodontal disease or not.Either you do or you don't. Inflammation around two teeth does not necessarily mean that you have periodontal disease. Can you take a picture of this area and upload it. Sometimes there is just a foreign body jammed up under the gum.I would need to see your xrays to tell you whether there is periodontal disease or not. Periodontal disease does not just happen in one or two teeth. It is a generalized condition.

If you are stressing particular teeth by clenching or grinding,a bite adjustment and wearing a night guard may be all that you need. If no gum problems were noted ,then gum disease is not your problem.There are no supplements that you can take to alleviate an isolated problem like the one that you are describing.

It sounds to me like you have a deep bite and the lower incisors are causing too much contact on the area behind the front incisors. This is a bite and positional problem that can be corrected by adjusting the bite.

I see, that is comforting to know. I appreciate your advice. Is it common for bite problems to occur out of nowhere? I've never had issues with my bite. This issue came about over night.

I really need to see your mouth to be able to give you a proper diagnosis. Periodontal disease does not come up overnight.I need to see how your teeth occlude with one another. The fact that you are a grinder and wear a night guard already tells me that there is a bite problem.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)