Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have an tooth infection and my dentist will not be back…

Customer Question
I have an tooth...

I have an tooth infection and my dentist will not be back until for another week. I have leftover augmentin will that hold me over until then??

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

I have a swollen lymphnode under my jaw line. No pain. He has been keeping an eye on it said it might be nothing

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?

Nope just horrible teeth

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
6/29/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, yes the Augmentin will help but Amoxicillin or Clindamycin are the antibiotics of choice for dental infections. If there is a dentist covering for your dentist they should be able to call in an Rx for you but if not Augmentin will help. If you have swelling you should begin warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do not put any heat on the outside of your face. If you have pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) every 4-6 hours along with 2 Tylenol (650 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or if you are taking blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. Hope this helps. If you need more information please ask. Thanks.

Hi, did you need more help with this?

Are you still there?