Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Which is better :a water pic or string floss or should I use…

Customer Question
Which is better :a...

Which is better :a water pic or string floss or should I use both?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dentist about this yet?

I go to a dentist regularly, but just got a water pic. I have periodontal disease just starting

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?

My gums bleed when I floss

Doctor's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.

I have a large bridge that really bleeds a lot when I floss with string floss

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
6/26/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Just Dental Truths!

Great gift you received!

__________________

I was first going to suggest that flossing daily once will do a very good job. It is much cheaper and works pretty much equally well as a water pic. However, as is typical, they both remove food debris and if people had both, as you do, I'd tend to suggest to use one on Monday & switch to the other on Tuesday, and so on and so forth. It's been said that a water pic is slightly more gentle on the gums, and I agree. But, also, some claim you sometimes plainly need something such as floss to debride something that is stuck between the teeth that a water pic won't easily remove 100% of the time. Both statements above are probably true.

Since you are fortunate to have both, I'd use both. Knowing that both clean well. But, with your having both - I think you are in an optimal position to "best" keep all of your teeth their cleanest! I hope this helps you!

Dr. Rampton

*If still further concern/questions, please don't hesitate to ask - OK? Please DO rate my answer - when you feel I've addressed your concern. Thanks, ***** ***** the best to you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply. I will alternate as you suggest.

You sound like you are highly motivated to "keep 'em clean"! Keep it up, and you can almost always keep them forever...

Dr. Rampton ( -:

Might you have any further concerns or questions whatsoever?

Thank you for your kind reply. I'm hoping you will RATE my answer, as that is how we are reimbursed, to answer questions.

Thank you! Congratulations on getting the new water pic.