Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had severe decay resulting in infection/absess on my

Hi I had severe...

Hi I had severe decay resulting in infection/absess on my second molar. With the onset of pain my chin and under lip went numb. My edododontist had organise the tooth to be extracted immediately by a oral surgeon. this was approx 14 hrs after numbness. The tooth was increasing getting worse over a couple of days. Th tooth was removed on Monday, I am still numb however since Tuesday I have been getting tinging sensations in my chin. Is the nerve repairing itself? The surgeon said the nerve was not damage. How long does it take for a bruised nerve to repair from a local infection.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

No

lower left 2nd molar, and the numbness appeared on the left. I can feel sensation on top layer of skin.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

It seems that several dentists have pretty much told you the same thing that I have explained to you in your original question. You had a long standing infection that produced enough inflammation and fluid pressure on the nerve to cause part of your mouth and face to go numb.The tooth was extracted and now the source of infection is gone.You were on the incorrect antibiotic so resolving the infection in the bone will take longer. Nerves take longer to heal than bone and skin. Six weeks for bone,six days for skin,six months for nerves. If you have tingling,your nerve is repairing itself. You need to give it time. Obsessing over this is not helping you.Taking care of this tooth when it first started to bother you ,would have avoided this situation. Normally we see swelling before we see numbness. It think it is possible that you had some tenderness or swelling under your jaw in your submandibular glands but may not have noticed it. My suggestion that you get on clindamycin and give it some time to heal ,is the best advice.Please stop worrying. There is nothing more sinister going on here.

Is there any more information that you need?

Is the hightened sensitively in the gums below the four front bottom teeth related to the numbness or the extraction? There where the tooth was extracted feels Ok
the gum is not inflamed or red, just a little feeling of irritation
happened after extraction

The numbness or sensitivity should not cross the midline. Only two of the front teeth can actually be affected.The extraction did not cause the numbness. The pressure from the infection did. If in fact all four front teeth are sensitive,it has nothing to do with the extraction or the infection.It is most likely due to a gum problem like gingivitis. This occurs when the teeth have not been cleaned for a long time.

thanks, ***** ***** have more of a mild burning sensation on the area, and it feels a tiny less rubbery.

The sensation is returning.You should have some resolution within a couple of weeks.

Please leave a rating if you have no further questions. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)