Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have mental nerve bruising due to an infection decay on…

Customer Question
I have mental nerve...

I have mental nerve bruising due to an infection decay on back molar tooth. The tooth could not be saved and has been removed. Before extraction I have throbbing tooth pain and sudden numbers of left chin. Tooth removed for days ago. Still number however I am now getting tingling sensation not constant throughout the day

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No pain

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/23/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 12 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

So sorry to hear of your numbness. It sounds like it is perhaps "parasthesia". Should you Google that you may be more able to see if that sounds like what you have.

Do you have a question which I can possibly assist you with regarding the numb feeling which you are experiencing? Thanks,

Dr. Rampton

Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 12 months ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

The lower molar (back) teeth have roots that lie very near or even wrapped around a nerve called the inferior alveolar nerve. This is the nerve that supplies sensation to the lip, teeth and tongue on each side of the mouth.

Sometimes, when a lower wisdom tooth is removed, that nerve can be bumped or bruised and if that happens, a change in sensation may be noted on that side called paresthesia (lingering numbness). This can also happen , albeit very rarely, that a dental abscess or cyst associated with one or more of these teeth can grow to a large enough size to encroach upon the said nerve/s and destroy part of the nerve tissue, causing the parasthesia.

However, this is a sensory nerve and does not affect the ability to move the parts of the oral cavity to which it gives sensation (feeling).

In most cases, the nerve heals itself but, because nerves heal slowly, it may take six months to one year before return of complete normal sensation.

Do not worry. Very rarely is the damage to the nerve permanent.

Hope this answers your question. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,

Dr. Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,

Dr. Behere