Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

After an x-ray My dentist has advised me that an infected

lower right molar which has...
After an x-ray My dentist has advised me that an infected lower right molar which has been root filled and capped is
disolving and needs to be removed.
As this will leave only one molar in that quadrant I am anxious to save it if at all possible. Unfortunately I did not have the wit to ask Appropriate supplementary questions, so here they are:
1. Would an X-Ray have revealed the fact that the root is disolving (as well as the infection) or is that just an assumption based on what is likely to be the case? I ask because another dentist once advised me that a tooth would crumble
if capped and therefore needed extraction. When it was extracted the tooth turned out to be sound enough to cap (a dental hospital has since told me that my teeth have unusually deep roots).
2. Would disolving be caused by the infection (for which I was not given antibiotics) or is it something that happens to dead teeth with the passage of time?
3. Could any new techniques, e.g. lasers, help to save the tooth?
6/20/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

1) Roots do not dissolve.An xray can show bone loss from infection.Teeth do not crumble when they are capped. Caps are made to protect the tooth.LOng roots are a good thing not a bad thing.

2) Teeth do not dissolve but they can decay.Infection does not destroy the root,it will destroy the bone if left for a long time.

3 Lasers don't save teeth. If you could upload the xray of the tooth,I could give you some more accurate information.It would be difficult to give you an answer as to whether the tooth can be saved without seeing an xray of the tooth.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Thank you. Re 1&2, I accurately reported what the dentists told me, using their language, which is a bit concerning. I don't have ready access to the X-Ray, so will have to leave it at that, but you have helped me to decide on how to proceed.

Dissolving roots is not dental terminology in any language.Most of the xrays taken today are digital.They can easily email you the xray and you can email it or upload it on this thread. I would be happy to look at it for you and advise what to do.

Thank you. The X-Ray is held by my English National Health Service Dentist. It is uncommon for second opinions to be sought here and I doubt that obtaining the X-Ray would be as straightforward as (I guess) it would be in the United States. For this reason I won't take up your offer at this stage, though I am genuinely grateful for it.

Ok but if you get it. The offer still stands

Many thanks.

No problem.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)