Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Does my tongue look normal?

Customer Question
Does my tongue look normal?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dental
1
6/15/2017
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 7 months ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Just as I was going to give you instructions for uploading a photo it arrived! Thanks.

Your tongue does look normal albeit a couple of areas that appear more red than other areas. But this too is normal and can occur if there has been any trauma to the tissues. But it sure appears to be normal!!

Are you having any symptoms?

It feels a little rougher in some areas, so I was wondering what the symptoms of tongue hpv would be.

Well, you have absolutely no sign of any disease let alone HPV!

You would need to have ulcers and sores that do not heal within 2-3 weeks without any treatment by you.

Rough patches are not a sign of HPV and are only a sign of a more keratinized area due to more activity of the tongue in a specific area. These will come an go all over your tongue at various times and are perfectly normal.

Here is website that describes what to look for if HPV remains on your mind: http://oralcancerfoundation.org/understanding/hpv/hpv-oral-cancer-facts/

Your tongue is quite normal so try not to worry, OK?

Wait, so the only signs of oral hpv would be ulcers that do not heal? Even in the back of the throat?

You only asked about your tongue and not about other areas of your mouth.

The throat would also have to have ulcers that do not heal as well as sore throats that persist and do not resolve on their own as well as hoarseness that does not improve.

This is from the website that I gave you:

"This list considers both oral cancers from HPV and those from tobacco and alcohol

• An ulcer or sore that does not heal within 2-3 weeks
  • A red, white, or black discoloration on the soft tissues in the mouth
  • Difficult or painful swallowing. A sensation that things are sticking in the throat when swallowing
  • A swollen but painless tonsil. When looking in the mouth, tonsils on both sides should be symmetrical in size
  • Pain when chewing
  • A persistent sore throat or hoarse voice
  • A swelling or lump in the mouth
  • A painless lump felt on the outside of the neck, which has been there for at least two weeks.
  • A numb feeling in the mouth or lips
  • Constant coughing
  • An ear ache on one side (unilateral) which persists for more than a few days."

These would be the things to consider or be concerned about if you feel you were exposed to someone with HPV.

Were you exposed to HPV? And if so when?

I might have been, I do not know for sure. I know I feel like I have been having a harder time swollening spit and there is a small bump in the back of my throat. It could just be me overthinking, I don't knows If it were to be hpv what can I do about? I have a girl friend of 4 months and even before my girl friend I was never the type to kiss or get with any girls.

Most times we all tend to over think things that may be harmful to our health. Perfectly normal to do so!!

There is really nothing you can do about it other then be tested for it if you really are concerned. Most times HPV is cleared by our own immune system in a couple of years anyway. It is the most common virus associated with sexual contact and their are no outward signs that you have HPV unless you you see genital warts, etc. Even that most warts are benign anyway!!

I would do nothing at this point in time but wait to see if your bump in your throat disappears on its own or it could even be a normal bump that you just became aware of because the HPV scare.

Can you post a photo of the bump?

I wake up recently with kind of a light sore throat from it I feel like it then it goes away right when I wake up. If only becomes really visible if I touch it so you cannot really see it in this pic

Thanks for trying to get the pics.

If the bump goes away like you said then that is not anything that you should be concerned about. If the bump was anything serious it would not "go away" on its own and in fact it may even increase in size and even become painful. I really do believe that at this point you are just letting your mind run rampant imagining all the bad things you may have when in fact you do not! Reading things on the web can be very misleading and causes most people to think they have something real bad. The web is scary and everyone starts to think they have what they just read about. Wrong 99% of the time and in your case you really do not have any oral signs of anything bad at all!! Everything looks normal! :):)

The bump has been there for about 2 months so I was just wondering. Is 2 months normal?

2 months is not normal unless it was there all the time before you noticed it. If it does not change sizes or become painful then there is no need to worry. Bumps come and go are normal juts aggregates of lymph tissue that are thicker then the surrounding tissue. You will get more bumps as you age. However, if you really are concerned you can always call an Oral Surgeon for an exam and biopsy if you wish. But my guess is that the OS will tell you it is all normal anyway!

Okay thanks. And even if it was HPV there is nothing I could really do anyway right? Other than watch it.

You are welcome. Yes you are correct that there is nothing you can do about it anyway

except keep stressing which would not be fun at all for you or anyone around you.

Please do not let all of this affect your current relationship! OK? :):)

I mean I know my girl friend would be okay with whatever the situation is because I love her and she loves me. Plus 80% of all people get hpv right?

Yes right again!!! Sounds like you found a keeper!! Good luck!!

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor