Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I havent flossed in a month and flossed yestersday. I

Customer Question
believe I caused some gum...
I havent flossed in a month and flossed yestersday. I believe I caused some gum damage doing so in the back of my mouth. I have a series of 5 bumps on my gum. I have a photo. How can I resolve it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Just Dental Truths!

So sorry to hear of the situation/problem.

If you have a photo, could you send it?

Thanks,

Dr. Rampton

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to upload it twice. Did it go through?

I'm not able to see anything...?

Are you more concerned about the gums/ possible damage? or the 5 bumps? or both?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe I was able to upload the photo.

Thanks, ***** ***** did just now get the photo.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please let me know what I should do. I am very worried.

Let me address the two items separately.

First: I don't from the photo, see any damage to your gums. I'm assuming your gums are sore though to you. And that would cause one to wonder... Since you mentioned you'd not flossed for about a month, it is quite normal for your gums to feel sore after you once again resume the flossing as you've done. So, that is what I would presume is the situation with the sore gum situation.

Second: The 5 bumps on the gums? I've got to be very honest with you, I'm NOT certain of the cause or what they are. I could guess several things, but guessing isn't my best information for you. If they are "new" and you've never noticed them before, then this is what I'd do: I'd suggest seeing your Dentist of choice, have them visually look at them & "consider" obtaining a biopsy (An area of the 5 bump area of gum is numbed), where a tiny piece of tissue is retrieved, sent to the microscopic lab, and within 48 to 72 hours you'll get back 100% positive results of precisely what it is and is not! In the mean time, I hardly think it to look like anything serious, so I would like to somehow qualm you normal concerns, because it probably is nothing more than an allergic response to food, medicine, etc. or cankers, ulcers, etc. But, again, I'm guessing here, which I really dislike doing.

So, are the 5 bumps fairly new, or at least as far as you are aware?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are new. I have never gotten them prior to yestersday.

I understand.

Do you feel you might be able to make an appointment with your Dentist, to have them looked at of course, but possibly also to have a 10-15 minute biopsy? Again, I am NOT worried, and I really don't want you to, as they don NOT look invasive or scary as in the "C" word - if you know what I mean? However, a biopsy may just be the perfect ticket, to determine positively, and thus appease your mind as to what specifically they are.

And the gums being sore: I believe they are merely sore because it's been a month or so since you've flossed there. As you continue flossing, that soreness should subside within a week or so!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could I use the Chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash to treat this?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you believe the bumps are a sign of perointis? I am sorry I mis-spelled the word!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will definitely call my dentist tomorrow

I would use a mouthwash such as what you mentioned above (CHG). As to whether it will make the bumps go away or even just time alone make them go away - I'm unsure, as I'm uncertain what they are. But, if you want to try that, rinsing & swishing with CHG is not a bad idea. But, I DON'T WANT YOU TO BE OVERLY WORRIED - OK?

Dr. Rampton

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. I have been very worried about it. I will check in with my dentist tomorrow. If he cannot get me in until Friday do you think that would be ok?

Yes, If you can't get in till Friday, I'd NOT be concerned. As I don't think it is anything serious. So, Friday should be fine.

Ma'am, I'd love to be specific with you about the small bumps. But even with your good picture taken, I'd be guessing, and I have a high disdain for doing that. It is something not seen often admittedly. But it also doesn't look like anything serious such as a cancer - which is almost always bright red, changing colors and shapes and changing borders.

So, I don't want to overly concern you about anything scary... but simultaneously, although it looks similar to some allergy r ulcerous bumpy areas, I'm NOT totally certain, as it is not a common looking occurrence. Does that make sense?

Dr. Rampton

*Please feel free to ask any follow up concerns/etc. OK?

Rachael, I should point out that the Just Answer site will allow you without any additional charges, to ask any additional follow up concerns for this question, which you've asked me today for another 6 days beyond today, should you desire to do so.

*Do "rate" my answer, when you feel I've addressed your concerns - OK? Thx ( -:

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Imsorry but what do you mean by common occurance for myself or what an allergy appears?

"not a commonly looking occurrence" - meaning the bumps are not a commonly looking thing we see as Dentists.

"some allergy (o)r ulcerous bumpy areas" - meaning it could be due to an allergy. However, I can't say that with conviction or certainty. And hence; seeing your Dentist & conferring about a possible biopsy (if applicable) is a good idea.

----------------------

Sorry about my poor typing skills...!

So, did the clarification make more sense Ma'am?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you!

Best wishes to you. And I hope you quickly get clarification with regard to the bumps on your left lower side gums!

Were you able to see your Dental team today? Any news?

How are the bumps doing? Are your gums yet feeling a bit better?

Dr. Rampton

Any news from your Dentist about the gum bumps Ma'am?