Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had two decayed teeth removed 9 days ago (both big molars

Customer Question

i had two decayed teeth removed 9 days ago (both big molars with curved roots, one tooth retained roots) both developed dry sockets , which were packed twice. I had a 5 day course of metronidazole but pain is still bad , pain relief still needed day and night. yesterday I visited dentist agin and she said basically she had done everything she can and that she cant suggest what it might be ??? I might add she took out all the packing and has now left them empty
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: pain since day one, warm water seems to ease the pain
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Do you have any swelling?Which teeth exactly were removed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no swelling . I had last back molar bottom left (no wisdom teeth) then molar infront of that still there , but next one removed which had the retained root.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Was all of the tooth removed or did she tell you that there was still a root remaining?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry cannot afford call
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

I did not offer the call. The site does that automatically. We can still type

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Just ignore the prompts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

One of the major cause of dry sockets is rinsing. Rinsing dislodges the clot and delays healing.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

You are also tasking the wrong antibiotic. Metronidazole though used in the UK is the incorrect antibiotic for tooth infections. Penicillin vk or Amoxicillin is the correct choice.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did everything as directed, however my concern is why I still have pain , bad pain 9 days on without any let up , can this still be the dry sockets now the dentist has removed the packing
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

How long was the packing left in place?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Did you start rinsing right after the extractions were done?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ahh that interesting re antibiotic, I had packing in on day 3 , changed once and removed yesterday ,so 5 days
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I only started rinsing 24 hours after
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Packing should never be left in place for more than 48 hours. You are dealing with a dentist who is uninformed.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

A dry socket will heal on its own with no treatment. The more that you rinse and mess with the socket,the longer it will take to heal.If you have this long of a delay,there may be some bone fragments still in the socket.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok , so I guess I should see another dentist, any suggestion of what to do in the mean time ?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

The best thing would be to see another dentist ,have them clean the socket and get some fresh bleeding going so a new clot can form. In the meantime...

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Get a piece of gauze and cut it to 2 cm long x 1 cm wide. Coat it on both sides with some Desitin or zinc oxide cream

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Place this gauge in the socket until it stays put. This will protect the bone and give you relief within minutes. It will need to be removed in 48 hours. No rinsing.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

The socket heals from the bottom up and will take six weeks to close completely.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok will do thanks for the advice . new dentist for me . thank you
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

See a new dentist and let them know that metronidazole is the wrong antibiotic for tooth infections.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will thank you
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

When you get a chance. Please leave a rating. We get no credit for our time without one. I hope that you feel better soon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you so much , yes I will do
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Thank you have a good evening.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Please leave a rating when you get a chance. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 months ago.

Can you please leave a rating for the answer? Thanks