Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

How do I know when to stop using gauze on my tooth

Customer Question
extraction? JA: Have you noticed any...
How do I know when to stop using gauze on my tooth extraction?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: I just had a tooth extraction. They told me to keep changing gauze every 1-2 hours until it comes out pinkish or brown
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: Not so much on this issue
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dental
5/17/2017
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 8 months ago
Just Dental Truths!

Good question.

The bleeding initially stops due to pressure from the gauze. But if you can let off the pressure and bleeding has subsided or nearly quit, then your goal is achieved and you can either gradually or fairly immediatly begin to not use the gauze any more if the bleeding has subsided.

Well, it's still oozing...just not as much. They told me to stop when it is pink or brown. But, while it isn't as heavy after 2 hours as before, there's still some red in the circle from the hole and the rest looks purplish. Before the entire gauze was red when I first got home. So I think it's tapering...I just don't know when to stop. Can using it until there's almost no blood cause damage to the clot when I remove the gauze? That's my worry. Also, is it bad to leave it in while sleeping?

No you could use it when in bed, even asleep, just use caution, not to inhale it (very rare to occur). And yes there would be no damage to the clot or your gums, if you use the gauze when there is almost no blood. That should be no problem.

I'd just ween off it gradually. It may be in an hour, or 8 hours from now. I hope that makes sense Paula!

Perhaps you've understandably gone to bed. I hope you get a good night rest!

Dr. Rampton

*Let me know should you have any further concerns - OK?

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist