Prabhjot Kaur
Prabhjot Kaur, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Associate dentist at Brident dental and orthodontics
98881999

A few days ago when I woke my tongue had a coating on it. I

Customer Question

A few days ago when I woke my tongue had a white coating on it. I brushed it but not much came off. I ran some floss across it and most of it came off. Not my tongue is red and very sensitive and my taste buds are messed up. Lots of what I eat or drink stings.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: I t started Sunday. Holding cold water or ice in my mouth feels better for that time. I have started brushing with Sensadyne tooth paste and swishing with Biotene. They both cause a little sting.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: can''t think of anything.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Prabhjot Kaur replied 4 months ago.
Hope you are doing well. White coat on the tongue is basically plaque, its inflammation of the papillae on the tongue or you can say swelling of taste buds. It can be because of debris, food accumulation or dead cells. Most of the times it happenss because of not cleaning your tongue regularly, or not drinking enough water, dehydration, drinking alcohol or smoking or also if you are taking some medications that causes dry mouth. Yes, when you scrape the tongue, tongue gets sensitive and becomes red. All you have to do is start drinking lot of water, clean your tongue twice a day and in matter of a week, tongue will be back to original anatomy. Sensodyne will not really help. You can use home remedies if its really sensitive like warm salt rinses.