Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I'm scheduled to have LANAP on only some of my teeth. I have

Customer Question

I'm scheduled to have LANAP on only some of my teeth. I have some pockets and a some bone loss that won't heal on their own after scaling and root planing. This doctor doesn't believe in treating healthy gum tissue and is only treating the problem spots. I just found out that I have been prescribed two antibiotics to take at the same time. I was given amoxicillin and flagyl. In addition, I was also given a mouth rinse to use. I was wondering if multiple antibiotics are standard after such a procedure? I'm a pettie gal and am concerned between the not eating regularly and double dose of anitbiotics, that this may be a little much for me.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 4 months ago.
Hi, taking both Flagyl and Amocillin for perodontal treatments does lead to better exactly what you are asking about and it does give better results then when used alone. Here us a website published by the government:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20214441
All the normal side affects apply when taking antibiotics and if you happen to have an unusual response you can cut back on the dosage but I suggest you discuss that with your dentist for more direction. But this combination is often used with great results! Hope this helps. If you need more information please ask. Thanks.
Sorry for the typos it is because I am on an IPad.
Did you need more information!