Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
2883465

Bornfeld--I’m moderately dentaphobic but I had an tooth

Customer Question

Hi Dr.Bornfeld--I’m moderately dentaphobic but I had an tooth (back right molar) that my dentist put a temporary crown on. I think she gave me 3 shots of novocaine as she also filled a “shallow” cavity on the upper molar right above the temporary crown. This was 3 hours ago and I know the injections had ephephenefrine in them as I could feel my heart speed up. I think I’m way over-reacting but my gum and lip on the side I had the dental work on is still numb, my eye is tearing periodically and my smile is lopsided although it seems to be returning slowly to normal. I am a hypochondriac and I want to know if I’m freaking out or could she have done something with the injections that caused the droopiness in my smile. I checked on a site and it said there is a 1 in 4000 chance that she could have destroyed a nerve and caused this. I’m sure I’m just freaking out (after all the injections were 3-4 hours ago. The fact that my lip on the side I had the procedure is still numb is a good sign I think. I just need to talk to a professional to make sure I’m just over-reacting to a normal procedure. Thank you. *****: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: Fine. The eye issue is negligible, its the crooked smile that is of concern.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I gave you a ton. There’s nothing else I can think of
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 5 months ago.

I am not sure if Dr Bornfeld is online and it seems that you are a bit worried. Can you tell me if the numbness has changed at all and the feeling has switched more to a tingling sensation?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 5 months ago.

Is all of the numbness on the upper and not affecting the lower jaw or tongue?