Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have nerve pain in 4 maybe in 3 too, no decay and my

I have nerve pain in...
I have nerve pain in 4 maybe in 3 too , no decay and my dentist is suggesting root canal . Can the nerve be treated first considering there is no decay? anti inflamatories maybe?
5/5/2017
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

The only way to treat the nerve (if treatment is needed) would be via root canal therapy and since there is no decay that would be the first step to complete. That being said, you should probably make sure you know your diagnosis from your dentist before proceeding with a root canal. What I mean is why the took needs that treatment, is it necrotic nerve? irreversible pulpitis? I say this because some people exhibit nerve type pain in a tooth, and the pain is actually referred from the sinuses (especially during allergy season). So its important to know for sure that the tooth diagnosis is correct before proceeding is my suggestion. Does that answer your question or what more can I explain pertaining to this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for you prompt response,There is no necrotic nerve no pulpitis and nothing in the xray, endodontic said it could be crack tooth syndrome? and that we should do root canal in 4 if no then on 3!! so regular ibuprofen wouldn't work like for any other nerve pain?

Ic, so they are thinking it may be related to crack tooth sydrome (which is a tricking diagnosis because it happens to many people, but visually their isn't always an obvious answer besides a larger filler in the tooth, etc). When a tooth cracks it can be on the microscopic (or at least subvisual) level and that tiny crack can transmit oral bacteria into the nerve of the tooth, which over time leads to symptoms. Every dentist is different in how they will treat crack tooth syndrome because it really depends on a lot of factors. Some have to start with a crown first, other times its root canal. So that portion is very variable. As far as the ibuprofen, it will work to decrease inflammation which may help with nerve symptoms. There isn't any harm in utilizing ibuprofen especially if it is helping your pain. It may help buy you some time for your care team to figure out which tooth is the actual culprit.

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for your answers

No problem, and good luck and take care!