Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

This question is for a dentist or oral surgeon. I was

Hi, this question is for...
Hi, this question is for a dentist or oral surgeon. I was brushing my teeth 3 weeks ago and I noticed this whitish skin tag looking lump in the bottom left area behind my molar. It's not bony like the tori, but more like a floppy skin tag. Can you identify?
5/1/2017
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hello. I am Dr. Josh and I am happy to assist you. Can you attach a photo? That would be helpful.

please find it attached.
I am sorry, but didn't know if my picture was sent.

Thank you for the photo it is very helpful. The lesion you sent looks like a benign (meaning non-cancerous) lesion. This type of bump is very common. It is likely one of four entities. I say this because they all look the same until you look at them under the microscope. They are all benign and not of concern. If this spot doesn't bother you, you don't even have to have it removed. If it is bothersome, it can be removed in a simple office visit with some numbing medication.

The spot is likely one of these four things:

1. Peripheral fibroma

2. Peripheral ossifying fibroma

3. Pyogenic granuloma

4. Peripheral giant cell granuloma

I grind my teeth very badly and I do drink and smoke plenty so I assumed cancer initially. It is floppy and I feel little discomfort in the area. What may have caused it to surface and does it get bigger like a tori possibly? Is it common to get this in the retromolar trogon area?

You are correct that smoking and drinking increases your cancer risk and that oral cancer can occur in the retromolar trigone region. Cancer usually is more of a white or red rough patch that is sometimes associated with pain, tingling, or numbness in the area. These types of lesions, many times are due to trauma in the area. Could be trauma from biting, trauma from a recent wisdom tooth extraction (if you had that recently), and sometimes we don't really know what causes it. This has the typical look of those four benign lesions though. Only way to tell would be to have it removed with a biopsy. This could be done at your local oral surgeons office with a quick appointment and you'd be able to go back to work the same day (if you wanted)

They can enlarge, but that isn't a rule. It may stay the same size.

Can a regular dentist preform the biopsy/removal or should I only seek the oral surgeon?

It depends. Some dentists are comfortable doing simple biopsies such as this and some refer it out. It would definitely be cheaper at the dentists office. Dentists are qualified to do the biopsy. I would just tend to say, at least in my area, most refer their biopsies out to an oral surgeon. Give your dentist a call and maybe you can save yourself a little money! That being said, an oral surgeon may be able to bill your medical insurance for this, so if you have decent medical insurance that may be a good option too.

Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
I really appreciate the answers and your time. Thank you.
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)