Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I woke up and my bottom front teeth ache. Not a hurt pain…

i woke up and my...
i woke up and my bottom front teeth ache. Not a hurt pain but more of a sore dullness. A little sharp.
i can also recall having bad dreams, but i was actually experiencing the teeth soreness in my dreams.
i felt totally normal last night. What do you think the issue is here ?
Also, i have a bottom permanent retainer from when my braces were taken off, but it never has given me problems besides making it hard to floss.
thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/24/2017
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Considering your history and the nature of your pain , the most likely cause of your pain is stemming from your bite.The probability that you are grinding or clenching your teeth at night is high especially because you have some anxiety issues. If the retainer was left out for even a couple of nights,it could accentuate your problem.Relaxation exercises ,ibuprofen 400 mg every four hours and wearing a night guard will most likely stop the pain that you are experiencing.

The pain is actually coming from the ligament around the teeth and not the nerve in the tooth itself. This ligament is particularly sensitive to change in pressure. Clenching or grinding under stress exerts a lot of pressure on these ligaments. Sometimes a bite adjustment is necessary which is a simple procedure involving buffing the edge of the lower teeth by a fraction of a millimeter. It takes only a few seconds and is painless.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i do also have tmj and history of grinding my teeth at night. The pain usually tho is not in my teeth, its in my jaw.
even now still now the top teeth are aching a little bit. I will take an advil..
Also, can that be related to cardiovascular issues. I am a hypochondriac with terrible ocd and was just wondering. I recently saw a cardiologist who told me everything was ok, but my anxiety tells me other wise.
Is this most likely just my teeth from grinding
?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry if its sounds like im repeating myself. i just want to have as much clarity as possible.

It is most likely your teeth from grinding. I am quite sure that it has nothing to do with your heart.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)