Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have had an infection in my tooth/gum which is not

Customer Question

I have had an infection in my tooth/gum which is not painful, just a raised place on the inside of my upper gum by my tooth. I've had root canals and finally a tooth pulled, but after months I feel it coming back again. No pain....
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: Yes a small swollen place. I was at the dentist in December. Told him I thought it was coming back but he said "No". Now I am sure it is puffy again.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: It first came a year ago. A dentist gave me a root canal, said it had a "lot of pus". A month later I went back, was sent to a specialist who only does root canals, had another root canal. Again, was told it had pus. A few months later I went back to a dentist and this time the tooth was pulled. It gives no pain, just a small swollen place.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am Dr. Josh and I am happy to help you. Thank you for using JustAnswer. What exactly can I help you with? I understand you have an area that seems to be draining an infection from a tooth (fistula). The tooth in question had multiple root canals and was eventually extracted. Now you're continuing to have problems with that area? There are a couple things that could be the issue. The most likely answer is that you have a different tooth that is infected and draining from the location. Unfortunately, as I can't examine you it is difficult for me to say exactly what is occurring. I would suggest you go back to your dentist to have an exam and x-rays to determine the cause. If simple x-rays cannot determine the issue. A 3D x ray such as a cone-beam CT scan can be used to further tell what is going on. I hope this helps. Do you understand? Any other questions? Thanks Dr Josh