Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Doctor gave me 300mg twice a day of Clydiminicin antibiotic

Doctor gave me 300mg twice a day of Clydiminicin antibiotic for 8 days. Think it's too much.

It is not too much. The normal dosage is either 150mg or 300mg and it depends on the how bad the infection is and whether it needs to be controlled quickly or not. Why were you given this???

Hello, are you still there?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had a tooth extraction. tooth 14 upper. Then bone grafting for future implant.

Ok, thanks. There must have been a concern by your dentist that the bone loss incurred by either an infection or the extraction itself was the reason for the 300mg dose. And then I assume he wanted to be sure that you are fully covered by an antibiotic.

But there is no need to worry because many time the 300mg dosage is given every 6 hours so twice a day for you is not excessive at all.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks. Should I swish with salt water now. The putty is wearing off and I can feel the stitches. I have to go to the Bahamas in 2 weeks for work. Will it be ok by then? Stitches I think are dissolvable I see Doctor on 28th. Just does not seem a way to clean it.

Yes you can use salt water if it has been at least 2 days since the extraction because then you no longer have to be concerned about developing a dry socket. So there are now no eating or rinsing issues that should concern you. Just try to be gentle in the area of the socket/extraction. You should have no problem going to the Bahama's in 2 weeks. Rinsing is really the only way at this point in time to clean the area and you are not alone in this because that is what happens to everyone after an extraction. But you should be good to go on your trip with no worries!! :)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you so much
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh how long to stitches dissolve

You are very welcome. Depending the type of stitches used it can very from 10 days to a few months. There are many types of sutures available and the dentist decides what to use based on the procedure and his experience with the sutures he picks.