Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I am 65. I am having a problem with my teeth I was under

extreme stress started losing teeth...
I am 65. I am having a problem with my teeth I was under extreme stress started losing teeth from low vitamin D. Now it is at 60 and my teeth are still dissolving. What do the teeth need to stay together that I might be missing?
Anyone have an idea why I am losing my teeth?
2/2/2017
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

I need a bit more information from you if that's ok. So when you state you are losing your teeth from Vit D deficiency, I'm wondering do you mean that the teeth are falling out or that they are breaking down/fracturing (but not actually falling out)? Have you seen a dentist about this yet, and if not how long has it been? What is causing the vit deficiency, and do you have any other medical history issues that may be contributing to your oral health? Lastly how many teeth can you lost, what do you have left?

I apologize for the delay. No one was answering for hours. Actually, I was losing teeth, and blood tests revealed I was very low on Vit D. The teeth were breaking/fracturing. I saw a dentist about it and he pulled out too infected teeth. Since then they tell me the teeth were infected and had to come out. Now no matter how much I brush, something is still causing them to break down. I have had two molars on both sides pulled. The rest of the molars are breaking down. The front teeth seem to be holding somewhat. I have had a heart attack and take Androgel for low testosterone. I am prediabetic. I also have glaucoma.

Well you may have a few risk factors that have attribute to the tooth lose. The vit deficiency over a long period of time is definitely not a helpful in regards ***** ***** development. That however would have had nothing to do with the teeth break/fracturing. If your teeth are breaking its from the bacteria in the mouth breaking down the enamel and dentin. Certain medications, acid mouth, certain meds, and even prediabetic status are some items that could let the "bad" bacteria overpopulate and break down the teeth. The infections you state you had (could be from that bacteria) or they could have populated and caused an aggressive periodontitis (breakdown of bone/supporting tissues for teeth). So what you need to develop with your dentist is a plan that now some of the worse off teeth are taken care of, it'd be important to obtain a protocol for you to maintain the rest. It may involve antibacterial rinses, it may require more frequent recalls/cleanings, or medications. The other thing is that you want to make sure from a medical standpoint everything was stable. I know you had blood tests, but maybe a overall head/skull xray or CT would be something to ask your physician about, or have your kidneys checked as. Just to rule out any other anomalies is all.

Interesting. Bacteria. I am looking for another dentist now. I was under extreme stress for quite some time from work and where I live. I have read that teeth can be somewhat rebuilt or at least kept intact with the right nutrients in the diet. Do you think there is any truth to that? Obviously vit D deficiency had a profound effect.

Teeth are constantly attacked by acid and bacteria so the demineralization and remineralization (breakdown/rebuild) process is always happening, and having a proper diet/nutrients helps manage that balance the remineralization. However, you can't rebuilt what's decayed. Decay is in dentin and that level of breakdown is irreversible. Yes vit D is important component in bone support health and if it's had this type of damage orally, I'd press you to do an entire body work-up to check the rest of your bone health.

What would I ask for to get an entire body workup? That includes a test for bone health?

That's something you'd have to discuss with your physician, but yes a bone health scan. I can't say for sure, but even your new dentist you find you may want to have he/she take a pan (overall head/jaw xray) to look for any changes in the facial region.

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Ok. That gives me an idea of what to ask for. Thank you. I will rate you now.

Take care!

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist