Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My toddler fell and banged his mouth. I cried a lot but

Customer Question
settled fairly quickly, but I...
My toddler fell and banged his mouth. I cried a lot but settled fairly quickly, but I did notice a bit of bleeding where his front teeth meet the gums. Should I be concerned?
JA: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?
Customer: He cried*
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: My 17 month old fell and hit his mouth on a chair. His front two teeth had a little bit of blood, at the gum line, but it stopped quickly. He seems comfortable now, and the teeth do not seem loose to me, but I am worried if the bleeding indicates he may have done enough damage to loosen the teeth.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dental
1/11/2017
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 10 months ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

It is very common that young children bump their front teeth. Most of the time its what we call a tooth concussion, which sounds worse than it is. It is essentially the periodontal ligament (shock absorber) around the root of the tooth. The periodontal ligament or the gingiva itself was concussed which means bruised and hence the bleeding. What I would do, is tomorrow after he has settled down to check with light finger pressure to see if their is any movement with the teeth. If you sense there is unnecessary movement than you will want to see a dentist or pediatric dentist to look at the area in case the teeth need to be temporarily stabilized (splinted). Very unlikely in primary/baby teeth to splint, but I'm given you the complete scenerio here. If you are currently seeing any changes that indicate the teeth seem to have intruded or retruded (basically in a new position than prior to the incident) the you should also see a dentist within the next 24 hours. Final recommendation is that if you haven't taken your toddler to the dentist yet, schedule an appointment for him in the next few weeks because that way the dentist will know the history of your child in regards ***** ***** fall, and if he/she suspects any concerns developmental with the teeth they will already be on alert to watch for this. We do recommend that as soon as your child has to teeth that a dental check-up is indicated. Does that make sense, or what more can I answer for you?

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist