Greg Millar
Greg Millar,
Experience:  Owner/Dentist at Millar Family Dentistry
97103233

Second opinion] I eat blueberries every day and have a lot

Customer Question

Second opinion] I eat blueberries every day and have a lot of teeth staining. Aside from the physical appearance of the staining, does staining in any way contribute to teeth decay/plaque or harm teeth in any way? It seems as if staining means there is some food residue and that makes me think that it's not good for the teeth.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Greg Millar replied 7 months ago.

Berries are sugary and probably a little acidic. Those things can contribute to acid erosion and decay. Staining doesn't contribute to decay. It is the dye in the food that stays on the teeth.

Your teeth are made up of microscopic straws and they can build up stain. Bleaching with over the counter or Rx products removes the stain.

Any follow up questions? If not, please rate my response so I can close the question.