Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Second opinion] I had heavy teeth staining and at my last

Customer Question

Second opinion] I had heavy teeth staining and at my last dental cleaning, the hygenist used a hydrogen peroxide mixture and used a polisher to remove the stains. The results were very good but I'm concerned about enamel damage. Is hydrogen peroxide abrasive and was using it in this manner a bad idea? I already have a lot of recession and am now concerned.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Hydrogen peroxide in the strengths that are used in the dental office when cleaning and polishing will pose no real harm to the tooth or tooth enamel. It is only when high strength carbamide peroxide strengths are used in conjunction with UV light that there is evidence of overheating the pulp of the tooth causing pulp damage or sensitivity. Hydrogen peroxide is not abrasive when used in cleaning and is actually good for the gums.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 9 months ago.

If you have no other questions,could you kindly leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site? Thanks