Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
2883465

I have a question on trismus. I had crown procedure and

Customer Question

I have a question on trismus. I had crown procedure and mouth was open and pulled for about an hour. The real pain is coming from point of injection of Novocain. Now my jaw seems to be crooked where when I bite down the jaw is a little off. I also can't move my bottom teeth side to side like I used to.
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: I have no tooth pain but my jaw hurts to open and close.. no other pain except where the injections were made. But it is affecting my bite
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Injection was made on the top right side of the mouth. However when he went to inject the Novocain a SHARP pain occurred
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 9 months ago.

While I am truly sorry you have this trismus problem, it should from day to day - improve. Or, at least be pretty much gone within a week.

____________________________

Very often, as Dentists, we have to keep your mouth open for a longer than desired time frame, and thus some soreness and muscle spasms can and do occur. Additionally, some Dentists are inadvertently more rough which can only, by accident cause soreness.

The crooked bite usually subsides day to day as well. The soreness from the injection site is undoubtedly, while caused by the injection, sadly merely being more tender to your mouth than what is typical.

My suggestion? I hate to say just "hang in there"... But in most all cases, where these similar situations such as those you have mentioned, DO indeed go away! And, generally such time taken to do so is a matter of days or a week, with generally you feeling a gradual improvement. So, I would say to you that while what you are experiencing is obviously highly undesired, and often not experienced, it sadly in a small percentage (maybe 5% or so) does indeed happen. Try to be patient (sorry that doesn't seem to help a lot), and realize that "this too will pass". I do indeed hope this helps you. Hang tough!

Dr. Rampton

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i still need more procedure done on the other side of the mouth. Should I wait until my trismus disappears?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm afraid if my mouth goes wide again I could damage the trismus even further
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Sorry, I went to bed shortly after last nights posting.

If it were myself, and the other side was merely needed to be done, in time, but not imminently so, then I would wait a couple weeks for the other Dental work to be done, thus allowing time for your trismus to be healed up.

"If" you desire to have a phone call, you could reach me at(###) ###-#### Dr. Rampton