Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have an implant. The screw fell out, and I placed it back

Customer Question
I have an implant....
I have an implant. The screw fell out, and I placed it back in my mouth. I cannot see the dentist until this Wednesday. The implant was placed 9 months ago. Does the screw falling out indicate implant failure?
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: No recent swelling. The implant hurts today since I screwed it back in.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dental
1/3/2017
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 10 months ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

So when you say screw fell out can you elaborate...you mean healing abutment, or you had a temporary that fell out, or the crown?

You can always take picture of the area if that's easier to explain, and when you state you screwed it back in how did you accomplish that?

I have three implants in my mouth that hold a temporary upper denture. When I removed the denture, the screw came out. I rewound the screw and was able to insert the denture. I see the dentist this Wednesday. My sense is that the suction of the denture when removed place too much stress on the implant.
I was able to put the screw back into the area from which it fell.

Ok, so maybe you are actually meaning the abutment? Because the implant is deep in your bone, and then an abutment screws into that and its the abutment that typically holds the crowns or dentures. So abutment I'm hoping is what you mean.

it was the abudment that fits into the little hole in the denture that forms the connection.

Ok, good! What can happen is a screw can loosen within the abutment when unusual or increased amounts of torque are placed opposing it, so the good news is that an abutment coming out doesn't (again DOES NOT) mean implant failure. It more than likely means dentist may need a different abutment type or that it just needs to be torqued tighter.

By removing the denture in the evening may have exerted force on the abutment due to the pressure of breaking the suction. What is the best way of breaking the suction to remove the denture without affecting the implant. I have one implant on the left side for 25 years. The other implant on the right side is 9 months old. The implant in the front is the one that I has the issue.

It may take a little trial and error to figure out the best way to break that suction. If you already recognize that the front implant is the issue, then a couple options would be to try to break suction from the right or left first (in the posterior implant area I mean). In an ideal world you'd control both sides of denture in back and stabilize the front and in even grip remove it straight up and out. Pretty tough to do until the copings in the denture wear in a little more. The biggest advise I'd give you is to make sure that you don't grab it from the back and flip forward and out cause thatll exert the most unnecessary force on the anterior one. Also, when you go to your dentist this week he may need to adjust that anterior abutment attachment so that it removes a little easier up there.

I hope I did not do any damage inserting the abutment. I did not see any blood. The area seems sore. Perhaps of I take an anti-inflammatory drug that may help.

That may keep you comfortable until you see your dentist, but there is likely a microgap between the abutment and implant so micro-movement is causing the irritation. So be gentle with eating in the front portion to not over work the area as it's not fully seated into the implant.

Is there anything more I can help you with? If not please take a moment to rate the post. Take care!

The dentist was excellent.

The dentist that re-inserted your abutment? Hopefully now the gum will be less sore now.

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist