How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Hegland Your Own Question
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Dr. Hegland is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Due to dental infection I have a swollen cheek and I can't

Customer Question

due to dental infection I have a swollen cheek and I can't open my mouth to eat solid food.will a hospital help me
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: no i'm 66 yrs old on medicare'i tried getting but during the holidays no luck
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: I had a slight occlusion in 2008 and had a stent installed
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 6 months ago.

If you can't open to eat solid food, that would be considered an urgent scenerio and yes a hospital urgent care/ER will help you. I suggest you go to the ER so that the infection that's happen can get examined by physicians and treated with antibiotic (possibly IV antibiotics) so that you can regain opening ability and then get the dental treatment (tooth removal or root canal) that you may very likely need for this situation.