Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
2883465

Toothache/pain in my lower back jaw sometimes when I chew.

Customer Question

Toothache/pain in my lower back jaw sometimes when I chew. Non persistent pain, only occurs randomly when I chew sometimes. What could be the cause ? Thanks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 10 months ago.

There may be many causes but without seeing your X-rays,it would be difficult to make an accurate diagnosis. Chewing pain could result from an abscessed tooth or could come from the opposing tooth striking the tooth in question too hard. Many times it is not a tooth issue but could be a bite issue. Do you have any swelling? Can you put your finger on a tooth that hurts? Do you have pain to hot or cold foods?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can't put a finger on tooth that hurts and can't fee obvious swelling
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could it be wisdom tooth ?

If you had an abscess,you would be able to put your finger on a tooth that hurts.

Do you have any missing teeth that have not been replaced? Do you grind your teeth or clench?

I cannot comment on your wisdom teeth without seeing a picture and an X-ray of your mouth. How old are you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
25

You are at an age when wisdom teeth can be a problem. Have you had a panorex or panoramic X-ray taken of your mouth in the past couple of years?Do you grind or do you have missing teeth?Can you upload a picture of the area in your mouth that is sore?