Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

How to cleanse neglected broken teeth BEFORE getting dental

Customer Question
work done so that the...
How to cleanse neglected broken teeth BEFORE getting dental work done so that the teeth begin to get disinfected BEFORE getting fillings or crowns. I have the ignorance yet the intuition or hunch that if i go to the dentist to get some broken teeth and missing fillings replaced, that a year of exposure to my saliva and lots of dark choclate and many many nights collapsing on the sofa from exhaustion without brushing, could very well have ruined my dental structure of those teeth. Shouldn't there be some time of solution saturating a cotton ball that i use for a few weeks that will disinfect those teeth PRIOR to getting fillings placed over infected dental structure? Is my perspective accurate? Should i do oil pulling or dab my teeth with peroxide or something of that nature? I have read that having the wrong saliva ph is what damages the tooth structure. ( I know my stress of the past year is to blame) I use to floss diligently every night. BUT the floosing stopped two years ago and now is only every few days. I do brush every night. I don't eat bread or pasta or sticky food except for dark choclate.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dental
OH DARN,, i meant to seek out Dr Bornfeld
12/7/2016
Dentist: Dr. G, Dentist replied 11 months ago
Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist

The only evidence based treatments are a preoperative antibiotic single dose (controversial for non surgical dental work) and surgical prep with peridex rinse immediately before the procedure - possibly starting a day prior.

During the procedure all infected material will be removed mechanically before placement of any restoration just so you are aware. In addition to what I mentioned above the single best thing you can do a few weeks prior to your procedure is get a full mouth cleaning to optimize the health of your gingival tissues for the upcoming restorations. Also improving your oral hygiene will help too.

All infected material will be removed mechanically before placement of any restoration ......Well, I'm wondering if the tooth structure that is infected, can remineralize prior to getting fillings?
... as per Ramiel Nagels (Cure Tooth Decay) research of this process. If the infected tooth structure is removed, isn't there still bacteria in the microscopic cells of the tooth that was beneath the infected tooth material?
(I've applied his protocols 6 years ago and a tooth that needed to be root canalled or pulled, did not anymore after I did the oil pulling. But I'm wondering if there have been advances since then?

Affected dentin can and does remimeralize. Infected dentin does not and is removed as it is soft and diseased. Topical oil has no chance of penetrating dentin to any significant depth due. Do an experiment if you wish. Place a dense beef bone which has been thoroughly cleaned into the oil you mention for a day. Take out and cross section the bone. You will note the oil has not penetrated below the surface at all.

Example of a various lesion. Notice the pulp of the tooth near the lesion has receded as a protective mechanism. This is tertiary dentin deposition. Also notice deeper in the cavity the color changes - this is due to collagen that is not fully denatured and this dentin can be remineralized. I encourage you to bring up all of your above questions with your treating dentist and together you can come up with an idealized plan for your treatment. Please let me know if there is anything else Incan answer for you. Also if you wouldn't mind taking a moment to leave a rating for me I would appreciate it as this is how I receive credit for my answers. Thanks!

WOW what a very descriptive picture. Is that an artists rendering or a blown up photo of a tooth? I had my teeth done and didn't get to read your responce intime. In any case, I am one of those people who has alot of stress and until i get rid of my stress, i will have issues with my teeth. SO i have to incorporate antidotes and back up plans to save my teeth from constant continual infection along all the margins of all my fillings. That is what i have. Margins all have signs of decay on all my teeth.
also you wrote; "notice deeper in the cavity the color changes - this is due to collagen that is not fully denatured and this dentin can be remineralized."Are you saying that this particular example of a tooth infected with a cavity has a chance to remineralize only because the collagen is not fully denatured? SO it depends on if the area is "infected" or "AFFECTED"....Meaning, if it is sticky it is infected. Affected means it is NOT sticky and possibly stained and that 'might' remineralize with the right protocols?
your statement above is correct. That is an actual tooth pic attached.
Affected means it is NOT sticky and possibly stained and that mean that it can remineralize? Would that be practical to attempt BEFORE going to get work done on ones teeth to hope that less tooth has to be removed? And will they remineralize with the right protocols and how long to do this before a dental visit?
Delaying treatment will allow decay to progress.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you. Also if you wouldn't mind leaving a rating for me I would appreciate it as this is how I receive credit for my answers. Thanks!

The tooth was filled and any decay removed but back to my question; If "affected" tooth gets filling placed over it, does the tooth structure that was left behind that is "affected" but not "infected" yet, have a chance to remineralize from within since it was covered with filling material?

Yes affected dentin is not irreversibly damaged and can/will remineralize. Clinically this dentin is hard to the touch. Infected dentin is soft to the touch like cheese due to the collagen being irreversibly denatured.

the stained tooth can be nourished from the root and pulp and there's a chance to repair the margins that way? All my teeth have margins needing fillings replaced but it will cost a lot . 4 major repairs were done. In another question I will post my X-rays if I can get them.

If the tooth is clinically soft or if there is a discrepancy at the filling/enamel interface it must be excavated and filling replaced. This does not always show on X-rays. It will not heal on its own. Delaying treatment will allow the cavity to progress leading to potential root canal or even a tooth that will require extraction.

Dr. G
Dr. G
Dr. G, Dentist