Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

I hope I can describe it adequately but for about the last 6

Customer Question

I hope I can describe it adequately but for about the last 6 months the inside of my cheeks get a slight burning sensation. Down in the very lowest part of my cheek and gums, sometimes there seems to be some raised nerves, but not really sure if that is what it is and my gums get sore but just on the outside. I have cleared it up with some oral paste but it comes back. I have really tried to watch what I eat and it seems to be more pronounced when I drink tea. I do have some broken teeth on both sides of my mouth in the same general area but I have had those long before this. Not sure if it is a dental issue or a stomach issues. I keep looking at articles like this to try and get some hints but I am afraid I am going to have to go to the dentist of which you can already tell I am not fond of doing. It is slowly getting better but it dose flare up for about 12 hours. Can you get shingles inside your mouth if you have had a lot of stress.? Any thoughts would be great.
JA: Are you experiencing any swelling? Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss?
Customer: Not really... I brush and use floss often.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Like? I have described the symptoms about the best I can, if I understand correctly
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything visual in this area, or would you be able to submit a picture or a few in order for me to look at the site? That may help narrow down what is going on.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Early on it was very sore and little sores that looked like a small scratch would come and go...but I have notnhadr those for a while. like I said it's slowly getting better and now it's just kind of sore, but nothing like it was in the beginning

Also, how long have the teeth been broken would you estimate, do you think you have other symptoms that aren't happening in your mouth? When would you guess was your last full dental check-up?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has been too long...I don't really like going to the dentist. There are two broken teeth on each side but they are half there and it doesn't affect my eating, so I have prolong it as long as I can, and they have been like that for several years before this mouth pain started.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am 58 and in very good health and don't have any other almonds or symptoms that I know of

I understand that you don't like going to the dentist, however with what you are describing I believe you are dealing with a periodontal (gum/bone tissue) disease or infection. There are symptoms that can happen in the mouth in regards ***** ***** but you wouldn't simply have the gum tissue issues-there would be other symptoms elsewhere or pain. Although you've had broken teeth for quite some time, one of these teeth or multiple teeth could be diseased or infected causing the resulting symptoms. When teeth break, and bacteria that lives in our mouth gets into the nerve area of the teeth it can be instant pain, or it can take years and years for symptoms to develop. With those symptoms you could be developing an infection or abscess that isn't always visual since its in the jaw. You could also be dealing with periodontal disease from not having a professional cleaning in a long time. What happens is tarter (also known as calculus) will form at and under the gumline, and the bacteria associated with this hard deposit can cause all sorts of things: break down bone support, irritate ligament around the root, spread to other healthier teeth, etc. This can be treated with deeper cleaning and sometimes antibiotics and I have had some of my patients that have come to me with perio disease that have itchy gums or burning. The burning symptom itself would also be from lichen planus, which is an autoimmune condition that causes inflammation in the mouth. The real result I hope from telling you this info, is that you can find a dentist you like and that you can at least have an exam with xrays, so things that are visual to the naked eye aren't turning into big problems for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your input and I will go see a dentist very soon.

If there is anything that would ease your worry about that first dental appointment, please ask and I'll try to explain any common questions that you may have. Otherwise, take care