Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

This is going to be a fairly list of things to say. I

Customer Question

This is going to be a fairly long list of things to say. I haven't been to the dentist in a few years because I am allergic to many things and have such extreme anxiety I'm afraid to go purely because of the way I may react to various things while I'm there. The last time I was there I went because I chipped a wisdom tooth. I was told I had a small cavity and said I wanted to have it filled right away so I didn't have to panic about going back. I told my dentist my allergies, which honestly seemed to freak him out. He checked the ingredients of things and it turned out I couldn't be numbed because of sulfites being present. He recommended I use temporary filling from the store until he could research things a bit. By that point I was terrified! I'm extremely allergic to sulfites and can not breathe if I have even a tiny bit in my system. Well, since then I have only been using the temporary filling from the store and attempting to keep things from getting worse. I've never had any pain from it, but with my severe anxiety it has been almost a constant worry for me because I greatly fear teeth issues. Sure enough a few days ago I developed odd sensitivity only in my top two front teeth. This pushed me over the edge. I can't stop worrying and I have no idea what to do! Oh, I forgot to mention I have a mint/menthol sensitivity as well which sets off dreadful asthma attacks for me. So, needless to say, anything mouth related is quite the chore for me! It's not easy finding non minty things for dental health! I have no idea what to do and I'm scared to go to the dentist, not because of the work that may need to be done, purely because of my many many allergies and sensitivities. Is there anything you can suggest for me? Also, is there any logical reason my two front teeth would become so sensitive suddenly with no injury to them to my knowledge?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 10 months ago.

If your front teeth became sensitive at the same time,it is more than likely related to your bite.In times of stress,many people grind or clench their teeth putting abnormal pressure on the teeth causing the ligament around the teeth to become reactive.The ligament is innervated through the bone and is not related to the nerve in the tooth.Wearing a night guard ,having your bite adjusted or just reducing your stress,if possible should decrease the the sensitivity in the front teeth.There are no sulfites in the local anesthetics that are used in most offices.If that were the case,we would see a rash of allergic reactions to local anesthetics and that is just not the case.There is really no reason that you cannot have a simple amalgam filling placed in your wisdom tooth that is decayed under local anesthesia.It is a simple procedure,requires no mint or sulfites and is hypoallergenic.

If you need specific information for your dentist regarding non sulfite containing local anesthetics, 3% mepivicaine without epinephrine and 4% prilocaine without epinephrine contain no sulfites and can be used without causing any problems with your sulfite sensitivity.