Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I am 35 weeks pregnant and having horrible jaw pain, 2

Customer Question
i am 35 weeks pregnant...
i am 35 weeks pregnant and having horrible jaw pain
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: 2 days...it comes and goes...20mins ago it was so bad i was crying..
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I was having a problem with my right back molar...now im having radiating pain throughout the right side of my jaw. They xrayed it a month ago and didnt see anything. Im not sure if i have an infection under my tooth. There isnt any redness, inflammation
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
11/19/2016
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

So if the area has been recently xrayed it probably isn't a cavity or something that's causing nerve pain, but if the discomfort is that extreme you may need to see a specialist (endodontist) to determine if the pain is coming from that molar or if its from another source. Let me know what specifically I can answer or help you with so that you can get your pain under control.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pain is coming and going. It's so severe that it's making me cry. I don't know if it's an infection or what. Nothing is swollen. Just sharp pain radiating in my jaw. I really don't want to go to the emergency room. I'm taking Tylenol and I can't take pain meds bc im pregnant and a recovering addict. I don't know what they would do in the ER

Well if the pain is that severe, Tylenol probably isn't going to help. If you go to the ER at least they can do a brief exam, and they could numb the area (because that's safe when your pregnant). If the area is numb, at least you'll be comfortable until you can see a dentist or an endodontist.

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist