Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

I had oral surgery at 9am, 8 shots of no ephedrine no gas or

Customer Question

I had oral surgery at 9am, 8 shots of no ephedrine no gas or anything else. Lower 7 from teeth. My tongue, lips and face got instantly numb, which they say normal. Now 2 hours later still very numb, tongue really bothering me, they said should last 1-2 hours. Should I be worried? This seems odd?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 9 months ago.

So if you had 7 of the lower front teeth numbed to be removed, it would take a minimum of 2 mandibular blocks, 2 lingual blocks, and likely buccal infiltration as well. So 8 shots isn't unlikely, especially since it takes more anesthetic to numb fully when no epinephrine is included. So that amount of shots isn't unusual. In regards ***** ***** numbing, the actual nerve of a tooth stays numb for 1-2 hours but soft tissues can stay longer. This is completely dependent on the type used. Lidocaine may be up to 4 hours, whereas Marcaine may be 6+ hours. So the "novocaine" as most people call it, you would need to know the type used. The numbness is a very uncomfortable feeling for many people, but I wouldn't be concerned unless you are reaching over 6 hours and still solid numb with no wearing off. Does that help, and no I wouldn't be worried in your current state.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I had at least 6 shots and then two small ones because I still could feel, it was the shot without ephinephirne in it, so I would not get shaky, so you think tongue would be numb?

Yep, that amount of injecting to achieve mandibular anesthesia is normal and again, the no epinephrine means from the numbing perspective that you;ll get more actual anesthetic (such as lidocaine) because typically surgeons use lidocaine w/epi and that epinephrine is was keeps the area numb longer. Basically gives the dentist more tine to work, and keeps the tooth comfortable longer. No epinephrine anesthetic means you'll be injecting with more anesthetic to get the same level of numbness. Yes the tongue is suppose to be numb when extracting bottom teeth. Sometimes just one side of tongue is numb, but since you were having anterior (front) work done, both sides of tongue should be numb.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok, thanks so much, I appreciate your throughout answer!

No problem, take it easy after your appointment and hopefully things are Feeling back to normal this afternoon. Take Care!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

One more quick ?? I have severe sjogrens and have lost all my teeth. They put a bottom denture, my upper teeth have died over the years.

When he removed the bottom he said the iron three were covered in plaque and plaque was below them in the gumline, could that cause infection?

Yes, the plaque that gets below the gumline forms hard tarter or calculus, and that keeps active bacteria sitting under your gum level. When it is there for years, it will breakdown the bone/gum disease (periodontal disease). That active process can create infection and abscess formation.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks again you are awesome!

No problem!

To close the conversation if you have no further questions, please rate the experience and it will be finalized. Again, take care!