Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist
Experience:  Dentist at Dental Care on Demand
92107790

I had yeast infected tongue in 4 days. what drugs to

Customer Question

i had yeast infected tongue in 4 days. what drugs to treat?thanks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Hegland replied 9 months ago.

Hello, typically yeast type infections such as candidiasis of the mouth or tongue are treated with antifungals. There are many formulations such as rinses, oral medications, and also lozenges. Specific medications include Nystatin, Ketoconazole, Fluconzaole, or Clotrimazole. It can take a few weeks with utilization of these medications for resolution of the candida (also known as thrush(+).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you

Is there any more specific information that you need?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But what dose and direction of each drug you give . I choose either one of them?

No the physician or dentist would need to do an examination to determine the correct dosage. If you've had thrush before and are more prone to it (have risk factors of dry mouth for example) then you may need a higher dose or possibly just a longer course of the treatment. I prefer for my patients Nystatin louzenges, because they are easy to take with you since they need to be used several times a day. They also have a higher contact time with your tongue. Patients prefer rinses typically because they are simple and don't have to have bad taste in your mouth for very long. Oral medications are typically least effective for a simply breakout. Lastly things you can do at home to prevent re-occurance is to take a over-the-counter probiotic to promote better bacteria, or even adding yogurt to the diet daily.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you dr Hegland, your answer is very helpful

No problem, take care.

If you have no other further questions please rate the question so that it can be closed. Thanks