Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Please help. My gums have been receding for quite some time.

Customer Question
And now i can pull...
Please help. My gums have been receding for quite some time. And now i can pull one part away from my tooth and see my tooth and root. What do i do? Im pregnant so I'm sure a dentist wont see me right now
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
10/18/2016
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

How far along are you (what trimester?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3rd
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do i do about my gums

Well as you may already know oral health changes significantly when you are pregnant. The fluctuations in hormones are very challenging for the gingival (gum tisuses). Pregnant women are more prone to develop gingival conditions, even gingival abscesses. So what I'm thinking is your recession may be a factor associated with your pregnancy. I would schedule a dental cleaning/exam. A cleaning is safe to facilitate during the 3rd trimester and its good to get the tooth surfaces clean of tarter buildup, since after baby you might have a harder time getting to your dentist appointments.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have called and made an appt and they have no opening until after new years. What can i do until then to stop them from receding further. Anything's to avoid?

Honestly I would attempt to go to another office just to obtain a cleaning. In the interim though I would continue your brushing routine, but brush softly. Brushing hard or harder does no good at removing more plaque. You could also upgrade to a electric toothbrush if you typically use a manual brush. Both sonicare and oral b triumph are great electric brushes that will make SURE you don't brush too hard, while removing plaque even more effectively from the gum line. If you don't currently use a mouthrinse, an antibacterial rinse would greatly benefit you during this hormonal time. Swish for 1 minute and spit after brushing. In addition to hygiene complications that occur during pregnancy, the other thing to keep in mind is that gum recession can progress if you tend to clench or grind your teeth. Some individuals do this during the day during stress, or others unconsciously at night. If you are a night clencher it would be wise to implement a mouth guard/splint to protect the teeth from the pressure of clenching or grinding. Your dentist would have to make this appliance for you, but since its a wait to get in to your office you could look into makeshift temporary options that are usually available at drugstores (boil guard and bite type appliance). Does this make sense and help you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This helps alot. Alcohol free mouth wash or with alcohol and how do i care for that one spot that i can pull back

Alcohol free is best as long as its still labeled an antibacterial rinse. The spot were the gum is loose, again just gently brush either manual or with electric brush in the area by tilting the bristles towards the sulcus (under gumline) to sweet plaque and debris out. If you can find a plastic irrigating syringe at a drug store you can use that to flush the pocket with the rinse after the brushing. After 10-14 days the area may start to tighten up a little, but it may not completely re-attach with out antibiotic treatment (that your dentist would place local at the site).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay great. Any food or drinks i should avoid

No there really isn't anything in particular that would create a worsening of the situation. Really crunchy foods that are hard, like kettle chips that could cause injury might want to be avoided or thinks like popcorn or fruits with seeds that can get stuck easier under the sulcus.

If there isn't anything else you want to ask, if you would please provide a rating so I can close our conversation, thanks.

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist