Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Ive been having some mouth issues and am seeing an ENT on

Customer Question
Hi JA: Hi. What do you...
Hi
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: Ive been having some mouth issues and am seeing an ENT on tuesday but Im losing sleep over the thought of it being something serious
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: I have had swelling of the tongue. The areas of concern are the back corner. One sort of seems to be indented in a way
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: It looks like it could be where the foliate papillae are
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
10/17/2016
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

So you are describing that you've had swelling, have you had any pain with the tongue? Is there any discoloration of the area (more red or white than other side)? Who referred you to an ENT, has it been looked at by a dr already?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My whole tongue has been white. I was referred by an urgent care because the problem has persisted. There is no pain involved

Is there any way you could take and attach a picture so I can give you my impression of the lesions to ease your mind until the appointment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I do this?

If you are on you computer and it has a camera or you could take one with a phone, and then upload it via the paper clip attach link. If you can't I guess I need more information and need to know what you need exactly for me to answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm finding it very difficult to get a clear shot of the area. It's the area back by my lingual tonsils and foliate papillae. It almost looks like there is a depression there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you view the file I attached?

OK, about how large is that depression if you could compare it to a common item or size.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not very large. Pea sized or so

Ok and you have like a white coating on the tongue, does that wipe off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does but then will be back come the morning. The doctor I saw said it was thrush and put me on nystatin
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is a full photo of tongue before nystatin started

I agree that is likely and the nystatin should help, however it can take a while before the white coating will be all gone. It will lessen. The coatig I see if you picture is not extreme at all. I can't really see the depression in the picture however.

From the picture you submitted I don't see anything alarming at all. If the depression is small it may simply be from a traumatic bite that you don't remember. Its a good sign that there is no color changes. If the area was bright red/white that'd be more concerning but that isn't the case. If you want complete peace of mind, I would recommend that your ENT biopsy the area. Its so easy and that way you get the actual histology (cell make-up) report and know for certain you are dealing with normal tissue or that you do have candida infection (thrush).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Awesome. Thank you so much

No problem. If you have further concerns on Tuesday or Wed after your ENT appointment, just ask! Take care!

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist