How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Root Canal Doctor Your Own Question
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 1614
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Root Canal Doctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 61 years old, female, and grew up when going to the

Customer Question

I am 61 years old, female, and grew up when going to the dentist was done only o have a tooth filled. My teeth are straight, but falling apart. I no longer have dental insurance, live on disability, and have no savings. I live in rural Okahoma and need help. What is available?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: I have minor swelling around the lower left gums. It's been at least 3 years since my last dental visit. I can't afford it!
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: At one time I had dental insurance and have a mouth full of crowns and fillings. My daughter-in-law was a hygienist but they moved away and I don't see her. I have a chip on my right incisor, behind a veneer my daughter-in-law got the dentist she worked for to put on. There is also a chunk missing from a lower right molar that was filled. My teeth are becoming increasingly sensitive. I brush 2-3 times a day and floss regularly.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 9 months ago.
Hi, sorry you are having these issues.
For the lower minor swelling you can use warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. For your sensitive teeth you can try Sensodyne or Colgate's Durophat or check out this website:
Other Colgate Products Related to Dentin Hypersensitivity:
Colgate® Sensitive Toothpaste.
There are many options for low cost dentistry and financing as well.
Here some resources that you can look into:
You may be able to get help from one of the following sources: for financing options that would better fit your budget.
Other viable options to consider:
1. Dental schools:
Dental schools charge far less than private practice however it does take more time to complete.
2. Clinics (free and low cost) Discounted dental services and dental workshops that offer free or
discounted/reduced services.
4. Local dental society or :
They would be able to direct you to Foundations and Charitable outlets that may offer dental services.
5. Volunteer dentists and hygienists providing free care:
(###) ###-####Hope all this helps you locate some dental care which you do need to pursue in order to return your mouth to a healthy condition. If you need more information please ask. Thanks and good luck.