Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I am 61 years old, female, and grew up when going to the

Customer Question
dentist was done only o...
I am 61 years old, female, and grew up when going to the dentist was done only o have a tooth filled. My teeth are straight, but falling apart. I no longer have dental insurance, live on disability, and have no savings. I live in rural Okahoma and need help. What is available?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: I have minor swelling around the lower left gums. It's been at least 3 years since my last dental visit. I can't afford it!
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: At one time I had dental insurance and have a mouth full of crowns and fillings. My daughter-in-law was a hygienist but they moved away and I don't see her. I have a chip on my right incisor, behind a veneer my daughter-in-law got the dentist she worked for to put on. There is also a chunk missing from a lower right molar that was filled. My teeth are becoming increasingly sensitive. I brush 2-3 times a day and floss regularly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
10/15/2016
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Hi, sorry you are having these issues.
For the lower minor swelling you can use warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. For your sensitive teeth you can try Sensodyne or Colgate's Durophat or check out this website: http://www.colgatesensitiveprorelief.com/EN/products/toothpaste
Other Colgate Products Related to Dentin Hypersensitivity:
Colgate® Sensitive Toothpaste.
There are many options for low cost dentistry and financing as well.
Here some resources that you can look into:
You may be able to get help from one of the following sources:
http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/popularpublications/findinglowcostdentalcare/
http://www.unitedway.org/
http://www.carecredit.com/ for financing options that would better fit your budget.
Other viable options to consider:
1. Dental schools:
www.dentalsite.com/dentists/densch.html
Dental schools charge far less than private practice however it does take more time to complete.
2. Clinics (free and low cost) Discounted dental services and dental workshops that offer free or
discounted/reduced services.
www.freemedicalcamps.com/
3. Freedentalcare.com
4. Local dental society or :
http://ebusiness.ada.org/mystate.aspx
They would be able to direct you to Foundations and Charitable outlets that may offer dental services.
5. Volunteer dentists and hygienists providing free care:
Dentistryfromtheheart.org
(###) ###-####Hope all this helps you locate some dental care which you do need to pursue in order to return your mouth to a healthy condition. If you need more information please ask. Thanks and good luck.
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor