Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have bumps under my tounge on floor of mouth

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/9/2016
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

Ok can you tell me a little more about these bumps. Are they painful, how long they've been there, color, swelling? Or even upload/attach a couple pictures if you can. What is your main concern with the bumps?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There not painful just annoying
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are just a bunch of these things more on the right side than the left
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Normal color
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've seen both dentist and oral surgeon just want another opinion

Ok, I see them in the picture. What did the dentist and oral surgeon say as far as what they thought they were?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Neither said much had an MRI which was clear
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also had X-rays that were also clear
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My first thought was to panic and think CANCER

Ok. Well that is a good thing. Did the oral surgeon indicate a biopsy of the area to determine what type of tissue it is? And I'm asking to see what they suggested for follow-up, because my impression from the picture is not of cancerous origin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They did not mention a biopsy I asked about having one

They didn't think it was necessary or to wait? Also, who ordered the MRI?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told I did not need it and was not givin any follow up instruction
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was diagnosed with HPV at 20 which has made me panic more
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The ENT ordered the MRI
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was told no need to biopsy was not spoken to much by the drs

I completely understand your concern based on you medical history. I also think that it is wise to be proactive in order to rule out pathology. Give me one moment as I write my answer to you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I go back and demand a biopsy

So, what my impression of the bumps are is Fordyce granules. This is basically small sebaceous glands that you can see on the inside of your lips. So that is basically is normal anatomy (and may be the reason why your dentist, oral surgeon, ENT aren't overly concerned). That being said, some people have these spots and they appear more obvious and that may be why the MRI was ordered to rule out any pathology that the more prominent Fordyce spots are associated with. So this should calm your concern in regards ***** ***** is simply a variation of normal that you have. However, that being said if you want your mind at rest I would definitely go back a request a biopsy. They should Not deny you if you want one. I say this because with you HPV history, if these lesions are papilloma in nature they should be monitored for changes. The biopsy may reveal that they are benign papillomas, but even so that should be monitored yearly for changes (such as more of the little bumps). Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does I'll call them tomorrow
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am still concerned and want answers

I agree with you that you should have some follow-up.

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist