Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My gums have been feeling inflammed and bothersome for quite

Customer Question
Hello. My gums have been...
Hello. My gums have been feeling inflammed and bothersome for quite some time. My dentist had mentioned my gums are receding a little bit sooner for my age, but it's not serious. However, the gum irritation feeling is bothersome and I feel like there's always excess saliva around my gum area. As such, he had prescribed chlorhexidine gluconate, which helps a little bit. But to my understanding I shouldn't be using that much or consistently over a long period of time which I have been doing.With that said, a family friend had mentioned perhaps using hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash to help treat my gums. Would you recommend this? And if so, what is the best way to safely take it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
10/3/2016
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

So no I would not recommend a hydrogen peroxide rinse an the reason for that is its cytotoxic (kills all cells- your healthy ones and bacteria). Sometimes older dental practitioners recommend this but it is not a common practice currently. Excess saliva is actually a good thing in regards ***** ***** your oral health so that isn't a huge concern. Receeding gums could be caused by grinding teeth (bruxism), brushing too hard, or using a toothpaste that is too abrasive, and of course recession can be caused by gingivitis or periodontal disease. If you are seeing your dentist regularly, you are hopefully in good dental health however. If your gingival irritation is generalized everywhere you may want to try a different toothpaste, possibly even an organic type toothpaste that doesn't have as many preservatives. If its just a single site that is irritated, you may want to get a second opinion just to make sure your dentist hasn't missed something. Hopefully that makes sense.

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist