How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peel Your Own Question
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 981
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Dr. Peel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just reading this thread: My partner has had problems

Customer Question

I was just reading this thread: My partner has had problems with chronic reaction to amide anaesthetics used in dentistry (even those without epinephrine). She has a lot of tooth problems (and has had many extractions). After using the anaesthetics she suffers from bowel problems including severe constipation and discoloration of feces that can persist for months. We suspect it is due to a liver or bile duct dysfunction and her body cannot expel the chemicals adequately. She has had issues with reaction to other chemicals such as cleaning materials, paints and air fresheners, synthetic oils and additives, and has to be very careful what she is exposed to. There is a tentative diagnosis of multiple chemical sensitivity but this is not clearly defined and often not accepted. We would rather not run the risk of trying out alternative anaesthetics due to the timescale of her reaction (months). Are there any alternatives to chemical anaesthesia in dentistry that you are aware of that have been seen to work? Electronic methods? Hypnosis? I heard of something called gumEase G100 - do you have any knowledge about this?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: My question is above yours, about dental anaesthetics
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: Are you seeing my messages?
JA: No. I'm the Dentist's Assistant.
Customer: Am I typing my question in the wrong place?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 12 months ago.

Hello and thanks for asking.

I am Dr. Peel and I will try and answer the best I can.

Alternatives to chemical anesthesia for general dentistry procedures (fillings, crowns, root canals) is a tough question but I do have suggestions. Hypnosis can work well if the patient is receptive to the idea, trusts the doctor and can relax. One of the challenges is finding a dentist who has the expertise and will use it. It is more time consuming and therefore he/she may charge extra for the procedure. I have used it in the past with success but it is dependent on the patient as well as my technique. I would suggest looking up dentists in your area that advertise as

'pain free, gentle dental' or the like. Some that specialize in the 'phobic' patient use various methods to relax and ease the patients anxiety and may also have other techniques for pain control as many of these type patients do not like the needle alone, vs the chemical.

The Gumease product might help with a localized perio problem but would not be applicable for drilling and such.

I hope I have helped. Please ask more if I can help further.