Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I'm reading responses about clindamycin and amoxicillin I

Customer Question
have a really swollen absess...
I'm reading responses about clindamycin and amoxicillin I have a really swollen absess and I think this is the first time I've been given clindamycin. sorry for the spelling. I'm wondering how quicky the medication goes to work.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: It started last night and has gotten huge since three hours since dentist prescribed.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I was just trying to determine how long it might take for the swelling to decrease because it's very painful and gets worse when I'm reclined. I really need some sleep.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
9/27/2016
Dentist: Dr. Peel, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist

Hello and thanks for asking. Can you describe which tooth is bothering you? Is this an abscess or wisdom teeth or a recent extraction/ root canal issue? In most all of these cases 24 hrs should be enough to start to feel some relief. Let me know the whole picture so I can help further.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not clear on which tooth as the swelling is so bad. I didn't realize this as a pay site I was just researching the medication. I am set up with an endontist in two days to discuss root canal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was very sudden and I got to the dentist as quickly as possible. The swelling was rather intense.

Well, it sounds like you need a root canal. The antibiotic should kick in soon . Until it does you can try alternating two extra strength Tylenol and two extra strength Motrin every four to six hours to relieve the pain. Do not take more than four of each a day.

This has been shown to work better or as good as opiates to relieve this kind of pain.

Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

I saw that you were requesting service but did not see your question. Please respond if I can help. Hope you are feeling better!

Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist