Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I've just come off a course of 6 week antibiotics. Now my…

I've just come off a...
I've just come off a course of 6 week antibiotics. Now my teeth have a chalky feel, I have a small grey mark on my front tooth and my back top molars have a brownish coating on them.
My oral hygeine is good, I brush, I floss I mouth-wash but I'm worried these anti-biotics have totally destroyed my teeth..
9/15/2016
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

Is there any way that you could provide a picture or 2 of these areas for proper analysis?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Apologies that the molar picture is blur, it's rather difficult fitting an iphone into your mouth hahaAs you can see the little grey mark on my front tooth, my bottom tooth also has a similar mark that wasn't there before the anti-biotics. The same with the rather strange yellow coating, it's not plaque as far as I am aware as it's showing transparency between the tooth which makes me worried it's enamel.My back 2 molars (see picture) are the exact same both sides of my mouth at the top, with a rough thick brown coating that just wasn't there before my anti-biotics.

May I also ask what the 6 week course of antibiotics were prescribed for?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before the 6 week course I had amoxicillin for vertigo which never disappeared. Then I was put on 3 seperate anti-biotics to treat a condition called SIBO (Small intestinal bacteria overgrowth) the anti-biotics turned my tongue white and furry for quite a long time but that eventually disappeared and as a result has left these issues.

Well from the long course of antibiotics taken (and with you description of a film on tongue) your mouth may have been compromised in dryness and bacteria from the long dosage. It may have even cause what we call thrush (fungal infection) of the oral cavity. This can be treated with ant-fungal mouth rinse or lozenges that a dentist can prescribe for you. In regards ***** ***** teeth, the antibiotics themselves can't demineralize or affect the dentin/enamel of teeth. But the side effects of the antibiotics (acid reflux, dry mouth) can create an environment where cavities or enamel erosion can occur more quickly. The gray spot in the anterior does suggest possible decay. The brownish/yellow coating in the posterior seems to be calculus. So with that if you haven't had a professional cleaning at your dentist's office in a while, that is likely what that is. With acid erosion the teeth that are worse affected are the lingual (tongue side) of the upper front teeth in addition to the linguals of the upper molars. You do appear to have several areas of either root exposure or significant acid erosion on other gingival areas of teeth. My recommendation is that you see a dentist soon, so that you can obtain a prophylaxis (cleaning) in addition to a prescription level toothpaste. Prescription toothpaste will help save you from further enamel loss, and greatly reduce you risk for cavities. Does that answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do suffer greatly from acid reflux so that's been a long on-going problem. In regards ***** ***** decay is that easily treatable in early stages? But aside from that, yes that is very helpful.Worrying, but helpful.

Yes the decay if early is treatable quite easily with filling material. The acid reflux, I would recommend talking to your physician on how to get better control of it. You are too young to have tooth damage from that quantity of acid. So you understand, the enamel is the hardest body component in our entire body, and if acid can erode that you have to make sure you are taking are of all the soft tissues in your mouth and throat as well. So please consult with a phsycian on starting a acid reducing medication. I know it's worrying, but if you can get a grip on the acid effects now, you'll be in much better shape to care for your teeth long term. My final recommendation is make sure your mouth rinse is both anti-bacterial but also fluoride containing. Splash that on your teeth before bed, and that will do a lot of help. Many people have problems with acid or dry mouth, and many of these issues stem from medications they take for other conditions. So this is common, but I'm glad you are catching the problem now! Hope that helps. Take care, and let me know if you need anything else.

Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist