Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Throbbing pain in right temple after being told I have some

Customer Question
type of mouth infection. What...
Throbbing pain in right temple after being told I have some type of mouth infection. What could it be. Been on penicillin for 2 days now and no relief.
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: No swelling, whole right side on mouth, jaw and temple hurts. Hard to tell where the pain is radiating from.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: I had fillings done on the 8th of August. That's when the pain started. Went back and was told it was more than likely from an infected tooth in which they pulled. Still no relief so I went back again and they took more X-rays said everything looked good. The only thing they could think was causing the pain is some possible infection and put me on penicillin. I'm nauseous and all I want to do is sleep.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
9/8/2016
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Just Dental Truths!

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear of your pain...

Realizing that it could be various things, such as post operative pain from not having healed completely yet, to a possible infection yet unseen by your current Dentist, makes it extremely difficult to say with any degree of positive certainty.

This is what I would recommend:

1- Continue with the antibiotics, until you learn any different.

2 - Consider STRONGLY getting a second pair of eyes on the problem, meaning a second opinion with another Dentist. I'm not implying your Dentist is 'missing' anything, but it could be a positive, to have a second person put their opinions on the line as well! It would 'likely' make you feel better, both psychologically, as well as possibly physically! Does this make sense?

Dr. Rampton

Was the work done recently, done on the lower teeth?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The filling was on the top right front and the extraction was lower back right.

Does the front tooth area hurt? Or is it primarily the right side mouth, jaw and temple area?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Whole right side front to back including jaw and temple

The front tooth filling, if the primary contributor (unlikely) would be sore when you touched or tapped it gently.

More than likely (99% probability), the lower jaw is the contributor. Either past Dental work already done, extraction, etc., which hasn't fully healed, or possibly something new which hadn't yet shown up on your Dentist's x-rays taken recently.

Again, and I'm sorry I can't say with more specificity, but I'd consider getting a second opinion.

I certainly do hope this pain subsides. Has your past Dentist prescribed a pain med for you?

When the pain you are having, radiating to the whole side and up towards the temple and jaw occurs, it almost ALWAYS due to a lower jaw situation.

I'm going to be gone for a couple hours. I'll check back, should you have any further concerns, etc., OK?

Ma'am,

Just wanted to check with you. Feeling any better, changes for the better?

Dr. Rampton

Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist