Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, 5 years experience in the field of General Surgery and Emergency Medicine and OMFS.
27273415

For the past 10 months I have been experiencing swollen

Customer Question

For the past 10 months I have been experiencing swollen paltoid glands, in both side of the face by ears/jaw swelling, causing my face to become vey round and cannot see the jaw line. This is vey frustrating and am not sure why. Although I did get all 4 wisdom teeth taken out around the same time this all started. I am not sure if they are linked in anyway. I would love to know how to fix this issue and make this swelling disappear! Please help.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

If this is indeed the parotid gland that is enlarged then this needs to be examined, an MRI done and if a swelling of the parotid, a biopsy needs to be taken in order to see what kind of a swelling is this.

The treatment will depend on the type of swelling this is.

And if this is not the parotid gland but tissue around it then a plastic surgeon can help you with the problem by liposuction, lipolysis injections, and rearrangement of tissue. If the bone (mandible) is enlarged, then this can be shaved and contoured according to the way you want it.

This is probably not linked to the teeth been extracted since swelling after tooth extraction can only last up to a few days to a week not longer than that.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your response! I have indeed had an MRI as well as a ultra sound, and neither came back abnormal, which is again very frustrating. Some days it is less swollen or not as hard as other days but doesn't ever go away fully.

Thanks for reply.

That is a good news that your scans are normal. As i mentioned above a consultation from a plastic surgeon would be of great help and he can give you definitive treatment plan after full examination.

Wish you good health.