Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had a tooth pulled out. #30 and a Ridge Presuervation to,

Customer Question

I had a tooth pulled out. #30 and a Ridge Presuervation to, with Resorbable Barrier.
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: With no post surgery instructions
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: The Barrier fell off and the cow bone fell out after the stitches were removed just 5 days after extraction. Is this normal? is $897 in bounds for this treatment?
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 11 months ago.

Were you planning to have an implant placed in this area?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Years ago I had #19 pulled. Without bone grafting, It restored just fine and had a implant, post and crown, and is now the best tooth in my mouth.

Are you planning an implant for #30?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How long should a pledget of collagen be in place to hold granular graft material so as to begin to consolidate?

The truth is in most of these cases,unless you have a knife edged ridge, bone grafting does little to give any more stability in the socket.The socket will fill in fine all by itself just as it did with your tooth #19.Talking patients in to ridge preservation is mostly away to get more money out of your pocket in most cases.The graft material is just a matrix to help bone form.It does not really consolidate itself.Most of this material just falls away.It will take about six weeks before bone formation is complete.The collagen should be in place for 10 to 14 to make sure most of the matrix sticks around.Again ,this socket will heal with or without the bone graft material.I have seen many cases where the grafting material delay healing because socket infection was ignored while placing the graft.

The price that you paid for the grafting is excessive.A normal price would be under $500.Five days is not sufficient time for the grafting material to stay in place.You can either ask for your money back or if you are convinced that you really needed the graft,ask them to redo it.

Is there any other information that I can help you with?

If you are finished with your questions,can you kindly leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site ? Thanks