Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

What is the light spot on the inside of my cheek?

Customer Question

What is the light gray spot on the inside of my cheek?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Justin, thanks for posting your question today.

If you can upload a photo it would help in the diagnosis.

You can use this link for instructions: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert ,

You can use the "PAPER CLIP ICON" ,

OR you can use a photo hosting site like: http://imgur.com/, http://photobucket.com/ and then send me the link.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is it I think I remember biting my cheek all out a year ago and it won't go away. Doesn't hurt and is flat can't feel it just see it. Saw oral surgeon said looked fine but can't tell me what it is.

Hi, thanks for the photo. The grey spot you see is just a darker pigmented area that occurs by trauma from biting or chewing. These areas are indeed normal and pose no health risk to you. Sometimes abrasions will heal with normal pigmentation and other times the pigment changes and the area becomes a different color. Sometimes they are pink, darker pink, black, grey, etc. All of these are considered normal. The only time you need to be concerned about lesions or discolorations in the mouth is if they are increasing in size, weeping, painful and have irregular scalloped borders. So you have nothing to worry about with the grey circular spot on your cheek. As you get older you will have more of these areas occurring. Hope this helps. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not cancer

Absolutely NOT cancer. You really do not need to worry about this discoloration. A good example is when wounds heal and they do not return to their original pigmentation so that you are can always see and are aware of where the injury occurred. Nothing to be anxious about with this at all. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ask because I saw an oral surgeon he said it was nothing. However I pointed it out to my dentist because he didn't notice it. He thinks it's nothing but wants a biopsy. Do You think it's necessary.

Hi Justin,

Most dentists do not notice discolorations in the mouth because they are always concentrating on the teeth, bones and gums. They do not often examine the inner cheeks and inner lips for problems. They are supposed to do that on an annual examination but most do not and really wait for the patient to let them know when they have a concern about an area and then they look at it. I do not think it needs to be biopsied but if you want to have one in order to have peace of mind then I would just go the OS and ask for the biopsy and the when it returns negative you will be sure and will no longer worry about it. It is a very easy painless procedure if you decide to have one done. One way to decide what to do if you are debating the issue is to see if it enlarges but I very much doubt that it will. Hope this helps you become less concerned about this. If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks what would signal cancer

What I mentioned in an earlier description of what cancer could look like: "The only time you need to be concerned about lesions or discolorations in the mouth is if they are increasing in size, weeping, painful and have irregular scalloped borders." Your grey area is nothing even close to a cancer related lesion.

Hi Justin, did you need more information?

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say oral cancer is a lesion that will not heal. What I have is this considered a lesion.

No it is not a lesion it is a pigmented discoloration and it is not cancerous and will never become cancerous. This was my very first comment to you in the first response: "The grey spot you see is just a darker pigmented area..."

It is not cancer and and you correct oral cancers do not heal on their own but yours is not a lesion. Since you are so worried about it just go have it excised and biopsied and then you will know it is not cancer and then you can finally relax. Just saying! If you need more information about this issue please do not hesitate to ask. A positive rating for our conversation is how I get credit for responding. Thanks.

Hi Justin, just following up to see if you are still concerned about your gray spot or if you have moved on?